What should be on the roof of a commercial building?
Commercial property owners do not need to know specific information pertaining to the construction of the roof, as requirements are different for each customer. The roof just needs to perform its function for a given period of time and the cost of installation for such a roof should be minimal.
The most economically viable solution will definitely be choosing a single ply PVC or TPO flat roof. This type of roofing is suitable for buildings of any height and/or size due to it’s simple and customizable design and will provide an opportunity to use the entire amount of space inside it under a flat roof.
Single ply TPO or PVC commercial roofing.
The main criteria in selecting a waterproof roofing material for use in large commercial buildings are: reliability, cost, durability.
PVC roofing membranes were first used in 1950, and in the 80’s acquired modern properties. Over a period of more than 30 years, millions of square meters of roofing membrane made of PVC were used to protect buildings from water every year and proved to be extremely reliable and functional throughout it’s entire life cycle. Proven lifespan PVC membrane – 30 years.
Polymeric membranes TPO appeared relatively recently (in 1990) and also showed the absolute reliability, stability of its unique chemical composition and properties after twenty years of service and excellent performance. The latest generation of polymer membranes – TPO membranes, have a projected service life of at least 50 years!
The main advantages of using single ply membranes for large commercial facilities.
- Cost. Technology of waterproofing membranes such as PVC and TPO are gaining market by providing an affordable price. Finished roofing membrane corresponds to the cost of traditional two-layer bituminous waterproofing surface, and in some cases,, final cost of roofing membrane will be much cheaper. The price difference is especially noticeable in large commercial roofs, where a small difference of the cost per square foot of the roof on a large volume grows into a significant amount.
If you consider the cost of single ply roofing membrane given it’s lifetime, single ply membrane roofing is clearly economically more profitable.
- Lightweight. Weight PVC or TPO membrane ranges 1-1.5 kg/sqm, which is important when installing single ply membrane on old asphalt roofs, where additional structural loads are undesirable. In new construction, lightweight materials will significantly lower the cost of the construction.
- Fire safety. Flammability PVC membranes are G1, TPO membranes – G2, G3. This reduces risk of fire. It’s low degree of flammability allows use of this membrane on any buildings with high requirements for fire resistance (applies more to the membrane PVC).
- Water vapor permeability. Relatively high vapor permeability of the polymer membrane material allows the use of PVC or TPO in the reconstruction of roofs without dismantling the old one. There is no need for ventilation device under the roof.
- Durability. Roofing membrane reinforced with strong thread of polyester, so it is durable and elastic.
- Quick installation. It is possible to install a membrane of 2000-3000 sq.ft. with one specialized team in a shift.
- Reflective properties. Standard light gray or white roof membrane surface reflects more heat from the sun especially during summer, which will reduce the cost of air conditioning for the building.
- Single-ply PVC and TPO membrane is the best way to protect the building from water. Polymeric membranes are used in large commercial buildings in Toronto, Mississauga, Woodbridge, Oakville and other parts of Ontario.
Large national companies such as Tim Hortons, Walmart, Home Depot use this single ply membrane as their main roofing material.